It is no secret that “you are what you eat.” If you want to have a healthy body, you have to take care of your body. One way to live healthier is to make healthier food choices. More specifically, what are some healthier food choices to have healthier gums?
1) Green Tea- If you drink a daily cup of green tea, you can reduce the risk of developing gum disease. Green tea has anti-oxidants that help to reduce inflammation which promotes healthy gums.
2) Whole Grains- Whole grains are digested more slowly which avoids spikes in blood sugar. This also lowers the body’s production of inflammatory proteins and as a result, lowers the risk of heart disease and gum disease.
3) Raisins- Raisins contain anti-oxidants that fight the growth of a type of bacteria that causes inflammation and gum disease.
4) Leafy Greens- The vegetables found in salads are beneficial for keeping your mouth clean because they are full of fiber, which require a lot of chewing to break the food down. The extra chewing produces more saliva to help neutralize the bacteria in your mouth, which promotes healthier teeth and gums. In addition, the vitamins and anti-oxidants in the vegetables promote good overall health.
5) Strawberries and Kiwis- You need Vitamin C to promote good overall health and gum health is no different. Strawberries and Kiwis contain high concentrations of vitamin C which help to fight gum disease.
Consider the above healthy food choices, if you want to promote healthier gums. This was not an inclusive food list. Rather, it will hopefully give you some suggestions to get started choosing snacks that can encourage healthier gums.
Posted on behalf of:
Alan Horlick DDS
6572 Hwy 92 #120
Acworth, GA 30102
A fairly common occurrence in the mouth is the existence of extra bone development along the outside or inside of the jawline near the teeth, or in the roof of…
Lingual frenectomy and lingual frenuloplasty are both dental procedures used to correct a condition called ankyloglossia. Ankylogloassia, more commonly known as ‘tied tongue’, is an abnormality of the lingual frenulum….
Sedation dentistry is a wonderful option for many people who would not or cannot tolerate dentistry in a traditional dental setting. Many people have a fear of visiting the dentist,…