Dental Tips Blog


When to See a Gum Specialist

Posted in Gum Disease

If you’ve noticed any of these signs…

  • Persistent bad breath
  • Gum recession
  • Bleeding while brushing or flossing
  • Loosening teeth

…then it’s high time to give your gums more attention. But should you head straight for a gum specialist? Where do you start?

Help From Your General Dentist

All dentists have valuable training in treating certain levels of periodontal (gum) disease and other gum issues. Some have more experience than others. You can definitely begin by simply visiting your local dental office.

At a regular consultation, your dentist will assess the health of your gums. If your gums need a level of care that the office can provide, then all you have to do is follow your dentist’s instructions and recommendations.

What if your condition is beyond the care your dentist can provide? Or what if you’d like a second opinion?

Visiting the Periodontist

Your office can refer you to a local gum specialist called a periodontist. This dental professional deals almost exclusively with treating gum disease and repairing the damage done by it. Treatment in a periodontal office is much more exhaustive and may include minor surgery.

Why See the Regular Dentist?

Your general dentist can address any dental need you may have. It’s easier to transition into a periodontal office for specialty treatment when you already have a medical and dental history established. In fact, if you were to visit only the periodontist, he or she would later refer you back to a general dentistry office, anyway!

If your local dentist can provide you with the care you need, it’s usually more convenient and affordable than seeing a specialist for more aggressive treatment. Call you dentist for more details.

Posted on behalf of:
Bayshore Dental Center
810 W Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd #2900
Seffner, FL 33584
(813) 330-2006

Most Popular

Tori, Exostosis, and Extra Bone Formation in the Mouth

A fairly common occurrence in the mouth is the existence of extra bone development along the outside or inside of the jawline near the teeth, or in the roof of…

Lingual Frenectomy versus Lingual Frenuloplasty

Lingual frenectomy and lingual frenuloplasty are both dental procedures used to correct a condition called ankyloglossia. Ankylogloassia, more commonly known as ‘tied tongue’, is an abnormality of the lingual frenulum….

Difference Between Conscious and Unconscious Sedation

Sedation dentistry is a wonderful option for many people who would not or cannot tolerate dentistry in a traditional dental setting.   Many people have a fear of visiting the dentist,…