Regular dental cleanings and checkups are very important to your overall health for many reasons. Here are just a few of the biggest reasons:
1. Early detection of oral cancer. More than 8,000 Americans die every year from oral cancer and 30,000 new cases are reported. The 5 year survival rate is only about 50% and early detection is crucial for increasing the survivability of oral cancer. Your dentist will perform a thorough examination for signs and symptoms of oral cancer during your dental checkup.
2. Prevention of gingivitis and gum disease. Gingivitis and gum disease are caused by the bacteria in the plaque and tartar that build up on teeth. Regular dental cleanings can reduce the incidence of gingivitis and gum disease and any gingivitis and gum disease that forms can be caught early while it is easily treatable.
3. Prevention of tooth loss. Nearly 20% of all Americans over the age of 65 have lost all of their natural teeth. Tooth loss in older Americans has been linked to reduced overall health and causes bone loss in the jaw bone. Routine dental cleanings and dental care help preserve your natural teeth.
4. To maintain good oral health. Regular cleanings and checkups reduce the incidence of tooth decay and gum disease. Gum disease has been linked to increased risk of diabetes, stroke and heart disease.
5. Regular dental cleanings and checkups help maintain a bright, confident smile and helps to prevent bad breath.
Routine dental cleanings and exams are an important part of any good oral health care program. Brush twice daily, floss daily, and see your dentist twice a year for routine cleanings and checkups.
A fairly common occurrence in the mouth is the existence of extra bone development along the outside or inside of the jawline near the teeth, or in the roof of…
Lingual frenectomy and lingual frenuloplasty are both dental procedures used to correct a condition called ankyloglossia. Ankylogloassia, more commonly known as ‘tied tongue’, is an abnormality of the lingual frenulum….
Sedation dentistry is a wonderful option for many people who would not or cannot tolerate dentistry in a traditional dental setting. Many people have a fear of visiting the dentist,…