Tips for Teeth Whitening Aftercare
A bright, white smile is an attractive asset and desirable facial feature. Teeth whitening is a very popular cosmetic dental procedure that can help you bleach discolored teeth to achieve a whiter smile. If you invest in teeth whitening, you want to maintain your results. Here are tips for teeth whitening aftercare.
There are multiple options for whitening your teeth and smile. Whether you receive in-office teeth bleaching or use an at-home product to whiten your teeth, you can brighten your teeth by several shades. Teeth whitening, especially professional services, can remove many different stains, including:
- Coffee and tea
- Aging discolorations
- Wine and berries
Teeth whitening can make your teeth look healthier and more youthful, creating a beautiful smile. However, the results will not last forever. There are ways to retain whiter teeth longer with aftercare for teeth whitening.
Immediate After Teeth Whitening Care
For those who receive professional teeth bleaching at a dental office, you will need to avoid some substances after your procedure. The teeth can be more sensitive and susceptible to staining right after professional teeth whitening. Your dentist will give you instructions, but here are some general tips.
- Avoid any foods or beverages that can stain your teeth for at least two days after your procedure. The teeth are very porous and will stain easier than normal.
- Expect some sensitivity. Aftercare for teeth whitening should include using toothpaste for sensitive teeth and avoiding hot or cold foods or beverages for a few days after bleaching.
- Do not use teeth whitening products right after bleaching. While you can use whitening products to maintain your results, avoid them for a week after your procedure.
If you undergo professional teeth whitening, you will get faster, more reliable results. However, it is important to follow the teeth whitening aftercare instructions to protect your outcome and oral health.
Ongoing After Teeth Whitening Care
For any type of teeth whitening procedure, you want to keep your teeth looking white for as long as possible. You also want to protect your teeth from dental problems. Following some basic rules regarding your teeth can achieve a healthier, whiter smile.
- Avoid Dark Beverages
- Coffee, tea, red wine, colas and other dark beverages are some of the top culprits for staining teeth. The pigments in these beverages can darken your teeth quickly. Try to avoid dark beverages when possible, drinking clear or light-colored alternatives.
- Stop Smoking, Chewing or Vaping
- Most people know smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco will darken and stain your teeth. It can also impact oral and overall health. Vaping can also stain teeth – any products with nicotine can leave brown stains on the teeth. Your results will not last long if you are smoking, chewing or vaping.
- Foods You Should Minimize
- It is not just beverages and nicotine that can stain your teeth. Even foods can contain dark pigments that ruin your white smile. Dark berries like blueberries, blackberries and raspberries can stain your teeth. Even dark sauces with tomato, soy or curry can stain your teeth.
- Use a Straw and Rinse After Drinking
- If you are going to enjoy a dark beverage, try using a straw. This can keep the beverage from passing through the teeth and limit staining. Another method to use after consuming dark beverages is rinsing your mouth with water – squish the water around to remove any lingering coffee, tea or red wine.
- Brush and Floss Regularly
- You should be brushing and flossing every day to maintain your oral health, but you may want to perform oral hygiene after every meal. This can remove food debris that can stain or irritate your teeth. Not only will it help maintain a white smile, but it can help prevent cavities and gum disease.
- Reduce Acidic Fruit Products
- Many citric fruits are very acidic in nature. Oranges, lemons and other citrus fruits and their juice can stain teeth and cause enamel erosion. Use a straw if drinking any fruit juice, even non-citric, to minimize stains, sugar and acid on your teeth. If eating citric fruits, brush after your snack to remove acid.
- Keep Up with Recommended Whitening Maintenance
- Your dentist can give you aftercare for teeth whitening tips and recommendations for maintaining your results. Following the above tips and your dentist’s instructions can prolong your results, but you will need ongoing whitening to maintain a white smile. This can include home whitening kits from your dentist.
Teeth whitening is one of the quickest ways to improve the appearance of your smile. It can make your teeth look healthier and more youthful, as well as attractive. Talk to your dentist about the best way to brighten your smile and be sure to following the teeth whitening aftercare recommendations for lasting results.
The information provided on this website, including text, graphics, images, and other materials, is intended solely for informational purposes and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.